Adel Woods are a jewel between the suburbs of Adel and Alwoodley.
The bulk of the woodland is part of a plot of 175 acres of land purchased by Leeds Corporation from the trustees of John Edwin Eddison MD in 1946 for £20,750. On purchasing the land, the Corporation covenanted with the vendors and their successors in title that the Corporation would for ever after use the property for the purposes only of agriculture, horticulture or of a public open space. The whole plot of land purchased by the Corporation stretches from the Seven Arches in the south to Golf Farm, the white house on King Lane, in the north.
In 1955 Leeds Corporation purchased from Percy Reddyhoff, a builder, a further plot of about 9.25 acres land behind Buckstone Avenue for £2,691/8/7d. Mr Reddyhoff had agreed to purchase the land from the trustees of John Eddison.
In the Unitary Development Plan the land is designated green belt, a protected green/open space and an urban green corridor. The area between the Seven Arches and Stairfoot Lane is also a site of Ecological and Geological Importance (a SEGI).
The woods form part of the Meanwood Valley Nature Reserve and the Forest of Leeds.
To enjoy the sounds and sights of the woods in Spring click here
For more information about the Meanwood Valley Nature Reserve, click here
The Meanwood Valley Trail runs through the woods on its way from Woodhouse Moor to Breary Marsh.
To download a map of Meanwood Valley Trail click here